Takashi qualified as a lawyer in Japan in December 2013, before joining Mori Hamada and Matsumoto, one of the big four law firms in Japan. After completing his Master of Laws from Georgetown University Law Center in 2019, Takashi joined Gall as a Registered Foreign Lawyer in September 2019 on secondment from Mori Hamada and Matsumoto.
Takashi specialises in cross border litigation and international commercial arbitration between parties in Japan and Mainland China, Taiwan and Hong Kong, covering product liability disputes, construction disputes, investment disputes, disputes of directors’ duties, employment disputes, and disputes regarding letters of credit. He is also experienced in Japanese employment disputes and consultations, including dismissals, compensation claims for overtime work, encouragement of retirement, harassments, disciplinary punishments, and breaches of non-competition obligations. Takashi also has experience in a broad range of other types of disputes including consumer law disputes, security litigation, and lease disputes.
Takashi holds a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Tokyo, Faculty of Law in 2010, a Juris Doctor from the University of Tokyo, School of Law in 2012, and a Master of Laws from Georgetown University Law Center in 2019. He also completed his legal training at the Legal Training and Research Institute of the Supreme Court of Japan in 2013 and Business Chinese Language Studies course at the University of International Business and Economics in 2016. Takashi passed the New York State Bar in 2019 and became a New York-qualified attorney in July 2020.
Takashi is a native Japanese speaker and is fluent in Mandarin and English.
Takashi’s recent cases include:
- An international commercial arbitration regarding defects of products in the Japan Commercial Arbitration Association (JCAA) in which he represented a Japanese company against a company incorporated in Mainland China;
- An international commercial arbitration regarding defects of products in JCAA in which he represented a Taiwanese company against a Japanese company;
- An international commercial arbitration regarding defects of construction in Chinese Arbitration Association in Taipei in which he represented a Taiwanese subsidiary of a Japanese company against a Taiwanese company;
- A litigation in Japan regarding investments from Mainland China into Japan, in which he represented an investor of Mainland China against an investee in Japan;
- A preliminary injunction case of breach of non-competition duty of a director employed by a Japanese subsidiary of a company incorporated in Hong Kong, in which he represented the director against the Hong Kong company.
- An employment tribunal case (roudou-shimpan) in a Japanese court between a Japanese subsidiary of a company in Mainland China and an employee dismissed by the subsidiary, in which he represented the subsidiary against the employee;
- A litigation in Mainland China regarding letter of credit between a Japanese company and a company of Mainland China, which he managed in favor of the Japanese company;
- An employment tribunal and preliminary injunction case in a Japanese court between a Japanese subsidiary of an US company and an employee dismissed by the subsidiary, in which he represented the subsidiary against the employee;
- An employment litigation that an executive of a Japanese company claimed that the disciplinary dismissal against it was invalid and its overtime allowances should have been paid, in which he represented the company against the executive;
- An investigation of harassments of an US employee in a global company;
- Consumer law litigations against a food manufacturer filed by several consumers who bought its products, in which he represented the manufacturer;
- Consumer law litigations against a product manufacturer and distributors filed by tens of consumers who bought their products, in which he represented the manufacturer and the distributors;
- A security litigation against a Japanese large listed company filed by its shareholders all over of the world, in which he represented the Japanese company; and
- A lease litigation between a landlord who intended to raise rent and tens of tenants who wanted to keep rent, in which he represented the landlord.